STUFFED PORK TENDERLOIN WITH SPINACH AND SUN-DRIED TOMATOES

pork tenderloin

i should just tell you up front, this isn’t really a recipe.
the other day, i was watching the food network and saw a recipe for stuffed pork chops. yum. so i went to the store to buy a few ingredients and somehow returned with a pork tenderloin instead. so now i had to improvise. i did my best to remember what might have been in a dish i had at a restaurant years ago. i looked through a few recipes on the foodnetwork.com. i consulted the joy of cooking and my friend, justin. and i picked up some goat cheese because my boyfriend has been begging me to try it in a recipe. eventually, this is what we came up with.
i don’t know why i didn’t pay more attention to what i was doing. i suppose i wasn’t sure just how it was going to turn out, so making notes of my recipe to share with the multitude didn’t really occur to me. i should have known it would turn out delicious – i mean, how can you go wrong with stuffing a meat full of delicious things?
so if you are feeling a little adventurous, here is approximately what i did [to the best of my memory].
the filling:
2 cloves garlic
10 oz. spinach
4. oz sun-dried tomatoes
4 oz. goat cheese
4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 c. sour cream
with a little olive oil, sautee garlic and chopped spinach until nearly cooked through. add sun-dried tomatoes. remove from stove when the spinach is cooked to your liking. in a separate bowl, mix goat cheese, cream cheese, and sour cream together until smooth. add the spinach + sun-dried tomatoes to your creamy mixture.
then you will need a pork tenderloin – i think ours was close to 3 pounds? i really can’t remember. but it was big. so if you are cooking something smaller, you will probably only need about half of the filling.
cut your tenderloin open so it lies flat, rather than as a roll. (i should have taken a picture of how we did it – it’s a little hard to explain. but you guys are smart, so i’m sure you can figure it out). pat the pork dry with a paper towel, then place on a baking sheet. spread the filling across the pork, then roll the tenderloin up like a jelly roll, keeping the mixture enclosed. secure the pork with toothpicks or cotton strings (that is what we used).
brush the top of the pork with olive oil, and lightly sprinkle salt and pepper atop.
bake at 400 degrees, until the internal heat of the pork is 155 degrees (you will need a meat thermometer). i think we baked ours for about an hour. like i said, i should have paid better attention. if you overcook your pork, it will end up being dry and not as delicious. so at about 40 minutes, check your pork with your meat thermometer and keep an eye on it. cooking time will also depend on how much meat is being cooked, so it may vary.
so what do you think? doesn’t it look fabulous!
i love trying new things in the kitchen.
i love it even more when they turn out.
but just remember, no matter what you’re cooking, don’t get discouraged if it doesn’t turn out quite like you expected. it is a learning experience. for example, i thought it would be a really good idea to put chopped garlic on top of the pork while it baked. but since we were baking it at such a high temperature, it only took 10 minutes for the garlic to start burning and smoking. so i had to pull it out of the oven, which set off the fire alarm, and scrape off all of the garlic into the sink.
like i said, don’t get discouraged. we’re all learning. [exhibit a].
so go ahead. try something new. be a little daring. maybe even set off the smoke alarm.
and as always, happy cooking!
xoxo.
jana
for more of my favorite recipes, click here.

stuffed pork tenderloin

This entry was posted in food, food styling, recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to STUFFED PORK TENDERLOIN WITH SPINACH AND SUN-DRIED TOMATOES

1. Pingback: pork tenderloin. stuffed with spinach and sun-dried tomatoes …

2. Carrie says:

This looks like a seriously delicious dinner! The stuffing mixture sounds fabulous. Anything with goat cheese always draws my eye!

3. Pingback: The Soul of the City Lives in the Tenderloin

4. Lauren says:

Gorgeous pork tenderloin! The stuffing is comprised of some of my favorite foods – and I love pork – so this recipe is definitely going on my “to make” list.

5. jo says:

The tenderloin looks delicious and makes for such an elegant main course. Love the picture.

6. Justin says:

Jana! I had so much fun reading this. I laughed when I remembered the burning garlic.

A note to readers about cutting the pork, if you would like to share this:

Get a kitchen towel and roll it up. What shape is it? A pork tenderloin shape! Now put a knife in where the end of the towel is flapping open. pretend to slice as the towel unrolls. This is precisely how we “unrolled” a pork tenderloin. Use a utility knife (a kitchen utility knife, not a dry-wall utility knife) and keep slicing and unrolling. don’t go too thin. You can really only unroll about once.

Read about utility knives on my kitchen guide, “Kitchen with Justin” at http://kitchenwithjustin.com/tools/

7. Pingback: Using a meat thermometer?

8. Zhanna says:

wow this looks yummy

9. nina says:

I use pork tenderloin a lot and I normally stuff it with goat’s cheese and sundried tomatoes, but I have never added spinach and it makes so much sense do do it that way. Lovely blog, I think I’ll stay!!

10. Pingback: Tell me about a good food or drink for the Brain performance ? | Sports Drink Water

11. Pingback: Tweets that mention pork tenderloin. stuffed with spinach and sun-dried tomatoes. » jana laurene -- Topsy.com

12. Pingback: Superb Pork Tenderloin Recipes! | Tablet PC Revolution

13. Kathleen says:

This is my first visit to your blog. This pork sounds off the charts fabulous!!!

14. That pork tenderloin sounds so good! What a tasty stuffing!

15. Pingback: good recipes for grilling a pork tender loin?

16. TiAn says:

These stuffings are delicious! I love goat cheese and sun-dried tomatoes in almost ANYTHING! :) I usually use them in a spicy pesto chicken panini that is to die for! Next time you feel like it, gice it a try…

Spicy Pesto, Sun-dried Tomato, and Chicken Panini @ http://www.mycherrybowl.com

Love your blog!

17. Pingback: Mission: Impossible « Diary Of An Avid Foodie and Virgin Marathoner

18. Caroline says:

Just wanted to let you know I made this today to rave reviews. Thank you so much for posting this!

19. Lisa Evancho says:

mm, this looks delicious. Will find all the things I need and make it tomorrow in the evening.

20. Chris says:

Great post! Thanks very much for the info.

21. Lovely blog! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more. I am bookmarking your feeds also

22. John K. says:

Hi! Came across your “Spinach, Sun Dried Tomato and Goat Cheese Stuffed Pork Loin” post when searching for something other than an plainold boring roast pork. A. It was awesome. B. It made me learn how to butterfly a pork loin. C. I figured out how to tie a rolled roast. and D. Did I say it was awesome? Hope life is treating you well.

23. Desi says:

I absolutely love this. Gorgeous photo too! I must must must make this soon!!!! I’m also eyeing your sidebar and that reinvented grilled cheese. So glad I found your blog :) I was wondering if there is the option to follow by email or Google Friend Connect… I see the google reader option but that doesn’t let me know when you have a new post. Just wondering cuz I want to follow your blog :)

24. Excellent recipe, i am going to give it a try with my darling tonight. Hope i get it right! Cheers

25. Pingback: Friday Recipe: Stuffed Pork Tenderloin from Jana Laurene | accordingtocarey.com

26. teela says:

wow just made this last night & its fantastic!! had some filling left over so i cooked some chicken and added ricotta cheese and made a calzone with it! both dishes were fantastic. thanks for sharing this recipe!

27. Wendy says:

Cooking this right now! I had a slightly smaller tenderloin than yours so I had leftover stuffing and it is yummy on a cracker, so I know it will be great inside the pork!
    @Justin’s comment…I found your suggestion very helpful for cutting the tenderloin..thanks for the tip!

28. RecipeNewZ says:

Just saw this on Pinterest. Your pork tenderloin is absolutely wonderful and mouthwatering! Great dish!

29. Laura says:

I made this tonight. It was amazing. Thanks.

30. Laura says:

Tried it last night amazing.

31. Stacy says:

Going to try this recipe for Christmas Dinner, can you tell me…Did you use fresh or frozen spinach? I am heading to the store so I will buy both and check in later! Happy Holidays, thank you!

32. Danette says:

I added mushrooms to the spinach and sun dried tomato sauté, then just layered some Jack cheese instead since we aren’t goat cheese fans. It was delicious, thanks for the idea!!

33. Jen says:

I made this recipe for my husbands bday and it was a hit! Thank you Jana for sharing :)

34. Pingback:   Pork Tenderloin Stuffed with Goat Cheese, Spinach, and Sun-Dried Tomatoes – Recipe by Suburban Grandma

35. Very good blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring
    writers? I’m hoping to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress
    or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m totally confused .. Any recommendations? Thanks a lot!

36. Kortnee says:

Hi!! I want to desparately try this recipe. My only question would be do you think it would taste just as amazing with chicken? My family and I do not eat pork.

37. Fabulous list ! Take a look at the prime antivirus software application on earth by travelling to YouTube !

38. Hello there, just grew to become alert for your website by Google, and discovered that it is definitely informative. I am gonna observe out for brussels. I will appreciate if you carry on this in long term. Quite a few individuals will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

39. Cynthia says:

I made this tonight and everyone loved it! I brushed my pork loin with a olive oil/balsamic vinegar mix first and sprinkled with Italian seasonings and let it marinate a few hours first. It turned out exactly like your photo and it was delicious — thanks for the recipe!